Creation and upgrade of fishery management systems and preparation of technical specifications (Tender # 01/2016, DFMR)
1 year (December 2017 – December 2018)
Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (Republic of Cyprus)
Following its introduction in the EU, the Cyprus government is obliged to follow the set of rules set up by the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP); designed to manage a common recourse and give to all European fishing fleets equal access to EU waters and fishing grounds, allowing fishermen to compete fairly.
In order for the Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (DFMR) to continue enhancing its role in fisheries, it is necessary to compensate with the present and future needs, and exploit new and more advanced technologies.
Through this tender, MER participated as sub-contractor of KPMG. The project aimed to implement the following actions:
- Preparation of a strategic plan to guide the obligations of the DFMR against the EU legislation.
- Implementation of a new system and upgrade of the current systems according to the strategic plan and as follows:
- Upgrade of the Electronic Reporting System (ERS)
- Establishment of a Data Validation System (DVS)
- Upgrade of the Fishing Fleet Register
- Upgrade of the Fishery Resources Management System
- Upgrade of the Marine Environment Database
- Upgrade of the Vessel Monitoring System (VMS)
- Upgrade/ Creation of an existing computer center to host all the systems of DMFR
- Interconnection / integration of all the DFMR’s IT systems
- Use of GIS systems to present the data
- Upgrade of the electronic database of the Fisheries Control
- Preparation of the Technical Specifications for the procurement of public tenders to meet the needs / obligations of DFMR.