Subcontractors of Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (Republic of Cyprus) for the “Regional cooperation for the transnational ecosystem sustainable development” (RECONNECT) project
~2 years (September 2018 – June 2020)
Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (Republic of Cyprus)
Regional cooperation for the transnational ecosystem sustainable development (RECONNECT) project is funded by the Τransnational Cooperation Programme Interreg V-B “Balkan-Mediterranean 2014-2020 and aiming to develop strategies for sustainable management of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) and Natura 2000 sites.
The establishment of common practices and a joint regional strategy are the main challenges of RECONNECT. The overall objective of the project is to promote efficient management of natural systems which will enhance the competence of local management authorities through the development of a multidisciplinary Decision Support System (DSS). The new transnational holistic approach which will be developed, will change the current protection strategies in the Balkan-Mediterranean area promoting more efficient and accurate management practices. The main outputs of the RECONNECT project will provide information concerning habitat attributes, as well as the essential biodiversity, socio-economic and cultural variables, which will be freely available as tools through a web-based platform.
The scope of this contract is the implementation of some of RECONNECT’s specific activities on behalf of the Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (DFMR), one of the project partners.
Briefly, the following services are anticipated by MER Lab:
- Participation together with the project’s partners, in activities related to the Project Identity Set of the program (e.g. preparation of informative and education material, press-releases, etc.);
- Organization and implementation of an Open Day Activity and participation in the Researchers’ Night organized by the Research Promotion Foundation;
- Organization and implementation of a training seminar regarding the Decision Support System;
- Field work at the Cavo Greko MPA, analysis of results and drafting of relevant deliverables;
- Contribution to the development of the TraitBank database, including bibliographic review for marine organisms;
- Bibliographic review and preparation of relevant report on environmental indices related to genetic biodiversity, with special emphasis on key species;
- Contribution to training seminars related to the management toolbox;
- Development of best practice protocols for the monitoring of marine areas through citizens’ Activities;
- Development of a guide for managers that will include inter alia indicators for the Marine Strategy Framework Directive, recommendations and strategies aimed at cross-border management of Marine Protected Areas, and translation of the guide to Greek.
RECONNECT project partners:
Partners: Management Agency of Dodecanese Protected Areas; Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research-BAS; Department of Biological Sciences, University of Cyprus; Department of Fisheries and Marine Research, Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment; Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Tirana; International Centre for Research on the Environment and the Economy (ICRE8)